Sunday, April 16, 2006

Side trip: Wien

First, I have to apologize for spelling errors, punctuation and brevity with this post. I'm writing from a pub in Austria that offers free Internet access...my hostel offers Internet but at 3 euro an hour and I'd rather not pay. Plus, this was a good excuse to go out for a beer. I was at Kelerty Station in Budapest this afternoon, about 30 minutes before my train to Szolnok was to depart, and I said to myself, what the heck, I have until Wednesday, let's go to Vienna. So, here I am.
I got in around 7, checked into my hostel, and took off walking, looking for an affordable place for dinner. I found a little pizzaria a block off a main street and stepped inside. Between the chef and the owner, they knew enough English to allow me to order - although I couldn't describe an olive well enough for them to get that one (anyone know how to say "olive" in German?).But, it ended up being a good meal with a glass ofPino Grigio all for just 6.10 euro (about $7.50). Now I'm at the pub working on the Internet (that sentance just doesn't seem to make sense), and from here I'll go to bed so I can get an early start onVienna in the morning.

3 comments:

Azor said...

How can you go on a lightning trip to Vienna and not make any mention of eating chocolate cake in a bag?

The Hungary Traveler said...

Give me a chance. When I wrote that I had arrived just a couple hours earlier.

However, 24 hours later, I regret to report that I still haven't had chocolate cake in a bag, or even chocolate cake. I did, however, have apfelstrudel at a Heurige (wine garden) north of Vienna, along with a couple of main course items I couldn't pretend to name (one was some type of pork, probably roast; the other a spinach-cheese mixture in a flakey crust).

Jelly Doughnut said...

Your sister, Nat, set me to task on the olive question. Next time you can order your pizza like this:

"Ich möchte schwarze Oliven auf meiner Pizza, bitte. Und auch Schinken und Ananas. Halten Sie das Sauerkraut. Danke!"

Basically, black olives, ham, pineapple, no kraut. Sounds geschmackvoll! Enjoy Austria! -Jessica