Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Budapest Cathedrals

St. Matthias Cathedral sits atop Castle Hill in Buda, on the west side of the Danube River. Friday evening a brief shower passed, and this is what I saw as I looked skyward:







Meanwhile, across town, Pest's largest Cathedral is named for another great Hungarian king, Istvan (ISHT-vahn). Szent Istvan, or Saint Stephen's as it's known in western Christianity (Stephen was his Christian name after canonization) is just as beautiful but architecturally different than Matthias.









Inside, Istvan is wonderfully ornate with plenty of gold inlay.






Unfortunately, the most unique aspect of St. Istvan was unavailable when I visited. Inside, they keep the mummified right forearm of the great King Istvan. When I was there the church where it's kept was closed for a private ceremony. So, when I return with my dad in June, we'll have to make that a priority.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some amazing pictures of the cathedrals. Perfect timing on the first one!

~ Jonathan

Anonymous said...

And why are they keeping the king's right forearm?

Cori said...

Good question, Nat. I wondered the same thing. Is there something significant about that body part? Or is it just the only piece they found?

The Hungary Traveler said...

I don't know why the fist is kept there other than it is a relic they still have of Istvan. There has to be a better explanation, but I don't know what it is. I'll ask around and see what I can find.