Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Pizza!

Wednesday was the first time I had a meal out alone. There's a pizza place about two blocks from school and I had heard it was good, so I stopped in for lunch today. The restaurant is called "Pizza Pronto" and from the outside looks like any American pizza place, except all the words on the window are Hungarian (except "pizza pronto").

Inside, I went to the couner and said "Angolul," or the second half of the question "do you speak English." "English" alone would be "Angol" but when you ask if they speak it, you would say "Besel Angolul" pronounced "BEH-sayl ANG-guh-luhl."

The guy behind the counter produced an english menu from the drawer in front of him so I looked that over. The pizzas all came in one size (I think) and were measured in centemeters (somewhere around 30 cm which would be about 12 inches). There were about 30 different combinations of toppings, or you could build your own. Most of the pizzas had toppings that we do not have in the US, including peas, caviar and raddishes. I had one of the few combinations that we have in the States: ham, pineapple and cheese, along with a large Coke.
The bill came to 840 HUF ($3.85).
I sat at a table and sipped my Coke (served cold in a large glass, but no ice - and I'm a big fan of ice; it's something I'm getting used to).
A bit later the server brought my pizza on a 12 in (30 cm) plate, uncut. I was supplied with a fork and a steak knife and no other plate, so I just cut the pizza and ate off the big plate.
I finished half the pizza and when the waiter came by, I asked him for a box (in English) and motioned with my hands what I wanted. He quickly understood, took the pie, and boxed it for me.

The best part of the story: now I have a $2 dinner ready to go tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

Cori said...

I'm starting to think that a trip to Hungary would be a great weight-loss tool. I mean, it looks interesting, for a little while - but I just don't see myself getting into carp soup or pizza with radiches and caviar . . .