Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Classrooms

Wednesday I observed Guth Roszika's (Last name is always listed first in Hungarian...people on the street would call me Aronow Michael) 10.C history class. In Hungary, the grades are numbered so 10 would be sophomore. Then, at Varga, the students are divided into letter groups (a-d) indicating the program they are in. C is bilingual, so I will always be dealing with C students. Today the students were giving oral presentations about a topic in Hungarian middle ages history. Some talked about reformation, others talked about the Tripartition of Hungary which occurred after the death of King Matthais in 1490. The Tripartition occurred when the Ottomans from Turkey occupied the central and southern portion of ancient Hungary (this includes much of Romania to the south and east, and Slovakia to the north; land that was lost in the treaty of Trianon following WWI).
I knew nothing of this history until arriving here, and am finding it fascinating - an absolute black hole in my history knowledge.

The students speak fairly good English, however they have heavy Hungarian accents, so I have to listen very closely to understand what they are saying. Plus, because they are talking about Hungarian history, they are using a lot of names and locations I am unfamiliar with.

In the weeks to come, the students will have to give oral presentations about aspects of culture during the middle ages. Some have selected music, other medicine, and others executions, sports, fighting, and fashion. They have been asked to use me as a resource for their English in writing these presentations.

Every time I enter a classroom, there is a buzz amongst the students. I get the sense that they are excited about having a "native speaker" present, and those who are more bold, will take a few minutes to ask me questions before and after class. One boy talked to me extensively about American football (he plays on the local Szolnok semi-pro team) and the NBA (he loves the Cavaliers because of LaBron James, his friend is a fan of Dwayne Wade and the Heat - I explained where Wade went to "University" and showed him my Marquette bracelet).


Finally, the physical conditions in the classrooms would be completely unacceptable back home. The chalkboards are old and warped; the desks and chairs are wooden, creaky and probably date back to the 1950's or 60's; and everything is very compact. Despite this, the students tend to be very well behaved, they pay attention, and they have impeccable memorization skills. As for their critical thinking skills when it comes to history, I have not been able to assess that, but I have my doubts.

(This is one of the bigger classrooms I have seen. Later I will post a picture of the smaller rooms with more cramped quarters.)

4 comments:

Cori said...

WOW - I feel like forwarding this info and the picture to WEAC, and my students' parents, and then posting it all over my school. And my kids complain about being bored? Having "old" materials or boring assignments? My classroom looks like an amusement park!

Anonymous said...

beth used to teach with this chick in south bend that was a garfield freak, and she was also the type of teacher that felt the need to be "friends" with the students. it was not uncommon for her class to be rowdy enough to be heard in the neighboring classrooms, drowning out other teachers. HER room was truly and amusement park...free flowing candy, blow-up chairs, silly posters that did not pertain to education (mainly garfield, of course). it was amazing that anything ever got done. i wonder how a hungarian exchange student would have faired in there!?!?!

Azor said...

1) One's last name can not be listed first. In the process of listing it, it would become a first name.

2) I'm disappointed that you mis-spelled Dwyane Wade's name. Your spelling makes more sense, but to me is almost as grievous as writing "Brett Farve."

3) Don't feel bad about your "black hole." I feel like the history of Eastern Europe is more neglected in the U.S. than any other area on the globe (except for maybe, ironically enough, the rest of the Western Hemisphere). The second world really gets the shaft.

4) So you were planning for Sabr's death a couple years ago and the old dog is still going strong. Awesome. Here's hoping he lives to welcome you back. (Not to be all gloomy or anything).

5) Phil, could you please send me a pen?

4)

Anonymous said...

Actually, that classroom picture looks very much like Joe's old junior/senior classroom when he taught here at Watertown High......