Monday, June 12, 2006

So that's what you think of the States

Yes, I am still working on a number of posts as promised last week. It seems as though my free time has become limited lately. During my 9 weeks here I have met many people, and am becomming integrated into a social circle. It's a great thing: no more lonely nights sitting in my flat; The opportunity to really find out more about Hungarian culture and world views. But, it also means less time to write and reflect as I'd like.

I'll get to them.

In the meantime, here's something I found quite interesting.

The other day a student stopped by my flat. She was looking for Chad, the other American at Varga, but he wasn't home. So, she knocked on my door and handed me a short essay. She asked me to give it to Chad later.

She left, and I looked at the title, The Differences between the USA and Hungary. My interest was piqued.

Here it is in full, as written by the student (She's in 11th grade)

The Differences between the USA and Hungary

America is a dream for me. This country is the land of the promises, chances and a much better life. In Hungary, you have to be lucky to get in a good university, to get a very good job with a satisfied payment. The lifestyle is also different. In America,
people aren’t as depressed as in my country. They live in another way. For me, as a student the differences for what I’m jealous for are that the school’s life, the system itself and the driving license. At the age of 14, you can get it and it’s easier than in my country. You have to be 17 and it’s harder. There are differences between the traditions e.g. in case of Christmas and Halloween. You can famous and rich easier. I think almost everybody want to go to America to make their life better. It’s the Promises land! I’m really jealous of you, because you’ll leave Hungary and continue your life in the states. I’m planning to continue my studies in the States (as you know) because of the differences between the 2 country.
Finally, I think America is so attractive for everyone who do not live in America. That’s the biggest difference, because Hungary isn’t so attractive.

Hope you enjoyed it!

No comments: