Friday, August 14, 2009

Fixing the Achilles, Again

Wednesday morning I underwent Achilles repair surgery for the second time this summer. The procedure went well, although the doctor found more damage than he anticipated: Turns out when I re-ruptured my Achilles, I also tore the much smaller plantaris tendon, which he had hoped to use to help secure the Achilles.
Cori's sister, Shana, sat in on the surgery. She's a physical therapy doctor and wished to observe an Achilles repair since she helps rehab people like me post-op.
The most common question I get now is, "what's this going to do to your trip to Ghana?" Well, it seems likely our departure is going to have to be pushed back. Our tickets are for September 1, just 20 days after surgery. I was kept in a cast for only 13 days after the first surgery and we know how well that went. I have to imagine I'll be in a cast for at least 21 days this time, and perhaps longer.
I certainly know that when I go to Ghana I'll be walking with crutches. I just don't want to be wearing a cast.

No comments: