Thursday, June 18, 2009

Post Op

Today I had surgery to repair my ruptured left Achilles Tendon. Here's a summary of how it went:

In the operating room: "Ok, I'm going to start you off with light anesthesia to help you relax."

hmm, my mouth tastes funny

"How does that leg feel?" asked the nurse in post-op.

And THAT was the entirety of my experience today at the Orthopedic Hospital of Wisconsin. My lower-left leg, ankle, and foot are in a fiberglass cast. The leg's elevated. My toes are a yellow-orange from the iodine. Cori served me dinner. Pain ranges from 1 to 5 (out of 10) depending on when I took my last hydromorphone. Believe me, that stuff works!

So, now I have everything "non-Ghana" behind me: School is over. My office is cleaned out. The school supplies that students and parents donated for me to send to Ghana are packaged. The surgery is complete.

I can start focusing more on our trip. Tonight I emailed Leslie, the American Fulbrighter currently at Temasco, to ask about making travel arrangements. I am also going to send Lucy digital copies of the first few chapters of the World History textbook she'll use at Germantown next year. Earlier this month, my teaching assistant at G'Town, Tigran, methodically went through the book and printed a copy of every page we cover. That has been bound and shipped to Ghana. At least until that arrives, Lucy can look over these digital copies.

1 comment:

Dylan said...

Looks manly, Aranow. Glad to see your narcotics are doing their job!