Thursday, August 06, 2009

Orientation, and My Left Foot

This is a monumental week in my Fulbright experience! Cori and I are in Washington DC attending the week-long Fulbright Teacher Exchange orientation. There are over 120 teachers in attendance representing 10 countries: Czech, UK, Switzerland, India, Turkey, Hungary, Mexico, France, and of course Ghana and the US. We have met my exchange partner, Lucy Okine. She is a wonderfully cheerful, charismatic, and brave person. We have shared information about our schools, communities and customs, and will continue to do so during the next few weeks as I help her get settled in the Germantown area.

Meanwhile a setback personally. My rehab following Achilles surgery had been proceeding nicely through last week. I met with my orthopedist and was given clearance to begin walking without a "boot." The following day I attended an annual Chicago event: A Cubs day game and a Sox night game. An outstanding day, we sat on a rooftop across from Wrigley where we met Daniel Craig (007) and Hugh Jackman. Later at the Sox game we sat in the third row behind the Chicago dugout where we appeared on television every time a right-handed batter came to the plate!
Friday morning, however, things turned sour: While simply walking in my friend's home, I stepped backward awkwardly putting significant pressure on my surgically repaired Achilles. Imagine the sound cabbage makes when you twist it apart to make coleslaw. I fell the ground and immediately thought I re-ruptured it. This was particularly frustrating because it would mean I would miss the following week's orientation in DC, on top of the need to repair the tendon and begin rehab all over. So, Monday morning Cori headed off to DC to attend orientation while I paid a visit to the orthopedist.
The doctor determined it was torn, but only partially. He sent me for an MRI just to confirm this diagnosis. A partial tear would mean no surgery, just a few more weeks in a cast and boot to re-heal. I quickly called Cori to share the god news and let her know I would be flying to DC the next morning.
Tuesday I arrived in Washington in the afternoon, was greeted by Cori, and met Lucy. That evening I received a call from my doctor. He had read the MRI. It was completely torn. I would need surgery.
So, that is where we are. Less than a month from our scheduled departure for Ghana, a land full of challenge and wonder for an incoming American. An adventure Cori and I have been preparing for for over three years. And it is being threatened by one wrong step.
It isn't likely that we will not go. We are committed to this both in our hearts and minds. However our timetable is being threatened. For us to make our scheduled departure of September 1, surgery and rehab will have to go exactly as planned. Cross your fingers, and anything else you can think of.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Good luck with your follow-up surgery and I hope you get to Ghana somewhat on the move and healthy! I love your blog, it's inpsiring me since I am new to this whole new method of communication.