Monday, May 08, 2006

Ljubljana

I've spent the past 24 hours in Slovenia's capital city of Ljubljana (loob-L'YON-uh) and it's been wonderful. The city's population of about 300,000 makes it large enough to offer cosmopolitan style but small enough to maintain a personal image.

In the middle of Ljubljana is a medieval castle, sitting atop a wooded hill, overlooking every corner of the city. The narrow, cobblestone streets immediately surrounding the castle make up the city center, a spiderweb of medieval design with all sorts of charm.

The city seems to have a young spirit built on art, music, history and education. It's a fantastic place to visit and I imagine an even better place to live.

This afternoon we'll rent a car and drive to Piran on the Adriatic coast. Oh, and the weather is beautiful!

3 comments:

LenĨ said...

Hey there..Nice to read such a good things about my country :))So, you rented a car?? I supose that was the best idea...
Greetings from Kamnik (small town) where I live...Remember me? Tourist board on railway station.
Say hallo also to your friend.
Alenka

Azor said...

I've always wondered...do other countries have keyboards that permit easier use of accent marks?

The Hungary Traveler said...

Azor:
Yes they do. Most of the eastern European keyboards I've come across have all those special letters like vowels with accent marks, the letters C S and Z with upside down "^" over them, and that sort of thing. Most of them share the keys with the "normal" letters and are accessable by using a special function key that's down near the keyboard.

Also, the "Y" and "Z" keys are switched on most of the keyboards, many of the standard punctuation keys are in different places (which is why I type so poorly when I blog from hostels) and the "0" keys is to the left of the "1" key (probably where it should be).