Monday, April 19, 2010

Clear and Present Danger

The weather here has been notably abnormal this year in Ghana. When I arrived in December I was told to expect Harmattan – the annual prevailing wind shift to the north, bringing Saharan dust and “low” humidity to the coastal region – and that it would last until March or April. Well, it never came. Instead, these months have been marked by warm temperatures (low-to-mid 90s), high humidity (low 90’s at night), and very little rain.

Harmattan is supposed to end with the rainy season and temps begin to fall into the low-80s.

Since we had no harmattan I guess all rules are off. Now it’s mid-April, and we haven’t seen the rain, and temps are only going up!

Check out the heat index table below. The black lines shows today’s combination:

2 comments:

Dylan said...

132...I don't even know what to say. I would literally die. I had a fever of 103 over the weekend and I thought I was on fire...I can't even imagine that in combination with a temperature of 132.

Cori said...

I couldn't handle the heat either. It's not even helpful to take a shower because you sweat immediately upon turning off the water. When I was there, it was only a high of 95 on the very hottest days, and the heat index was lower, and I still felt best on the couch in the living room, blasting the a/c.