Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Benefits of Traveling the World

I’m currently reading Lunatic Express by Carl Hoffman, a gift sent to me by my sister, Mary Ellen (thank you, again!)

Ghana 078 (c)It’s a relatable (for me, anyways) true story of a travel writer who embarks on a trek, the only goal of which is to experience transport by the world’s most dangerous means, in other words, transport the way most of the world’s nearly 7 billion people move from place to place.

At one point the author’s 17 year old daughter Lily flies to Lima to join him during her spring break from high school. They boarded a rickety old bus for a 450 mile journey that would take 36 hours, through the rain forests and over the Andes Mountains on single-lane, winding, clay roads.

Here the bus has taken a brief stop for the driver to urinate and have a bite to eat:

I wolfed down a quick meal of rich, gamey chicken  soup ladles from a pot big enough to throw a couple of toddlers inside, sitting on a wooden bench the width of a single two-by-four under a ragged blue tarp. Lily didn’t want any, but the chef could spot a hungry, nervous girl and brought her a bowl, insisting that she eat, which she did under the pressure of a mother, even if it wasn’t her own. Then, as church bells pealed, we piled on an even older bus. "Aren’t you afraid you’ll get sick?” said Carleton (a Canadian tourist who was clearly in over his head at this point), shaking his head. “I’m starving, but there’s no way I’m going to risk eating that!”

Ghana 096 (c)I looked at Lily and we laughed. “See how brave you are!” I said, secretly praying she wouldn’t get sick. As soon as the sun went down, roaches swarmed out of the curtains; they fell into Lily’s lap, crawled into my coat, scurried under our feel. It was black outside, the bouncing headlights illuminating dirt road and sheer drop-offs. Lily was scared; I felt bad for her and proud of her. I hoped she’d love the journey, but even if she didn’t, at least I knew she’d remember it and feel, perhaps only later, strengthened by it. That she’d learn that the world was big, rich, complex, sometimes dangerous, always interesting. That you could hide from it or explore it and embrace it in all its complexities.

Amen.

8 comments:

Cori said...

I am definitely stealing this book from you when you're done! Thanks in advance, MEA!

Kristy said...

I will certainly have to check this book out. Sounds fascinating.

Sprinkles and the Gun Brigade said...

Mr. A! How are you doing? First off, I'm honored that you're actually following my blog. I know, it's probably because I'm soo important.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I've heard of that book, and I was told that it was incredible. I think I'll definitely have to pick that up now.
I hope everything is going along amazingly!
-Jenni P!

Anonymous said...

Hi... I can vouch for the book. It's a great read. Keep them coming.

Book Airline Tickets said...

I am definitely stealing this book from you when you're done! Thanks in advance, MEA!

AisforRandom said...

I'm so jealous of people that travel.

The Hungary Traveler said...

Don't be jealous. Do it yourself!

PARAMOUNT PAKISTAN TRUST said...

Paramount Pakistan Trust.. A life line for children, women and disables and poor communities. It's amazing how much can be achieved with just a small amount of money from people like you and a little help from Paramount Pakistan Trust. Your help will make a real difference to lives of poor people to eradicate the causes and effects of poverty and injustice.

To donate just log on to:
http://www.paramounttrust.com


visit our blog:
http://paramountpaktrust.blogspot.com