Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Golden Achilles

A couple days ago I decided to give my twice-repaired left Achilles a test - I went for a run. Since my surgery in August, the five weeks in a cast that followed, the four weeks in a boot after that, and the many weeks of walking with a heel lift, it was the first real test of my Achilles other than walking about Ghana.
The run didn't last too long: I am completely out of shape since I haven't done much to raise my heart rate since last May, and I didn't want to put too much stress on the leg. But I am pleased that the tendon felt okay during and after the exercise, although it is still quite stiff and the calf muscle is still returning to strength. However, the most difficult part of this was mental. I could focus on little other than the possibility of another rupture. I think if I hadn't ruptured it a second time in August this fear wouldn't have been to great. But with the experience of a re-rupture still very fresh in my mind - the feel, the sound, the ultimate ease with which it tore apart, and the finality of the injury once it occurs - I am still quite hesitant to stress the tendon. And this, at this point in my rehab, I believe will only slow the recovery. Still, if that's the price to pay for peace of mind, debit my account.

So when I read about the Marquette University freshman basketball player who took the floor versus Syracuse last week - just four months after undergoing the same surgery I had five months ago - I can only shake my head in wonderment.

3 comments:

Cori said...

Maybe the Marquette player hadn't experienced the setback of a re-injury. I think that was the kicker for you - I still remember you calling me from a horizontal position on Phil's floor.

Dylan said...

I'm glad it went well. This just reminded me.

I re-injured my foot. I was playing dodgeball (Yea, I know I get hurt alot in gym class, give me a break.) and Josh Peplin (about my height, probably a good 90 pounds heavier than me) jumped for the same ball. He won. I fell back, landed on my wrist, hit my head. I stood up, a little dazed and realised that my right foot was trying to explode out from underneath me. It's only sprained, I'll be walking on it within a week (Hopefully).

The Hungary Traveler said...

Josh "Pepper" Peplin. He's a big boy alright. He's a GOOD 90 pounds more than you.