Thursday, March 30, 2006

Baggage limitations

Most International flights on US airlines limit travelers to two 70 pound bags checked through to the destination, and two carry-on bags (one being a small pack, the other a slightly larger bag to be stowed in the overhead compartment).

Saturday I'll be flying Malev Hungarian Airlines from JFK to Budapest. According to the airline's website, travelers can only check one 20kg (44 lb) bag), and carry-on one 10kg (22lb) bag. This is severely limiting what I can take for a three months trip that includes the need for daily professional clothing (button down shirts, a suit coat and dress pants) in addition to routine travel clothes.

I've tried calling Malev's JFK phone number with no success. American (the carrier for my flight from O'Hare to JFK) says whatever rules Malev has for international flight will apply to my flight out of O'hare.

So, I've packed on bag to the hilt, and I'll see what happens when I get to checkin. Worst case scenario: Cori drives home with a car full of clothes and either 4-6 weeks later a Parcel Post shows up in Szolnok with the rest of my stuff, or I hit the shopping mall in Budapest.

No comments: