Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Aronow 2.0

To be perfectly honest, discovering Cori is pregnant, just three days before we were planning to leave for Ghana, has really left our heads spinning.
Of course, we had been planning for months to be in Africa by now: our bags have been packed (or at least they were packed before we had to start digging into them for clothes to wear); we have rented our duplex, fully-furnished, for the year; Sabr is living in Boston; we even canceled our car insurance. Most importantly, we were mentally and emotionally prepared to go. But now we are having to wait once again.
Since I have a few weeks to kill before we [hope to] leave next month, I am volunteering to sub temporarily at Germantown High School. It's uplifting to see and talk to so many awesome students who I have developed relationships with during the past few years. That has really helped rekindle a somewhat downtrodden spirit within.

Meanwhile, Cori is home with morning sickness, a head-cold, and a budding sinus infection. It's no small wonder that she has felt some resentment over news of the pregnancy...It's not like the fairy tales. We're both warming up to the idea of parenthood, and sometimes a positive boost comes from an unexpected place. That was the case this week when I received this email from my contact at the US Embassy in Ghana:

I am also excited to make your acquaintance. I can see clearly that you are one teacher who is committed not only to teaching, but to working hard to be part of the positive development of others of the human race. You have the beneficiaries of your profession at heart, and it shows. Bless you.

The prospect of little Michael/Cori Aronow entering into this still wonderful world through Ghana is also exciting for me. I have met a few Americans who were born here and the bond that was established between them and the people of this country has remained and matured. I would not be surprised, if in barely three decades hence, Michael Aronow II returns to Ghana to immerse himself into a project that would improve the lives of my people.

I look forward to meeting all “2.5” of you in November. All the best.

I forwarded this to Cori. Her reply:

I do love it! maybe I'm warming up to this 2.5 thing a TEEEEEEEEEEEENY bit.
And that in turn makes a husband very happy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have no idea how proud i am of you both. not just for who you are already but for all that you are striving to be and do. i am 100% behind you both. lots of love, shana