Monday, June 08, 2009

34 Going on 16...Not!

SNAP!
Last week, while trying to prove I could out-high jump a 16-year-old who I have been coaching in track during the past couple of months, I heard a loud noise and felt my left foot lose all ability to support my weight on my toes. I had ruptured my Achilles Tendon.
Monday I will visit the orthopedist to discuss treatment - probably surgery. For the next 6 to 8 weeks I'll be wearing a cast or immobalizing boot. Then will begin the many month long process of rehabilitation.
How will this affect Cori and my trip to Ghana? I don't know except I can say two things: I'll do everything possible to board the plane to Africa in early September, and Cori will be doing all the physical preparations in the meantime.
Cark Spackler from Caddyshack says:
What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at
the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes
back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the
right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

I hope the same doesn't apply to the Achilles!

1 comment:

Nat said...

Ow!!! Yikes! That's the painful injury. You heard it? Was your foot dangling? yuck!!!
Good-luck. Let me know when your surgery is.
Nat :{

(You'll never view shopping carts in the grocery store the same again!)